Trustee Jim Houser (bio)
Elected in November 2013 for term beginning January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2017. Serving as a trustee since February 2012.
Township since 1973, I have always been interested in this community and the people that live here. I truly believe that working together as a team the trustees can take on many of the tough issues facing Madison Township. Following are some of these key issues along with my thoughts on how we can start to address them.
1. Work with our County Commissioners and Regional Planning regarding the pursuit of grants and loans to repair and replace our aging roadways thereby minimizing the financial burden to township residents.
2. Coordinate funding applications with the Ohio Public Works Commission and Ohio Water Department Authority so we can aggressively attack our township storm water problems.
3. Improve public safety and work to promote economic development. The funding crisis we are currently facing cannot be solved by passing the burden onto the shoulders of our residents. We have to find ways to increase our tax base by actively promoting business opportunities in Madison Township.
- Attended The Local Government Innovation Fund Program presented by the Ohio Department of Development.
- Owner of ar-ti-san Contractors, Inc. a respected Madison Township Business since 1989.
- Member of the Builders Industry Association of Ohio.
- Member of the Resurrection and Contemporary Musical group.
- Prince of Peace Cemetery Chairman.
- Member St. Mary’s Catholic Church and the Folk Music Ensemble.
- Served on the Madison Township Fire Levy Committee.
- St. Mary’s Church/School Building and Grounds Committee Chairman.
- Democratic Party Precinct Committee Member.
Term beginning January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2021
Jim Houser has lived in Madison Twp. for over 40 years. He married the former Debra Harris and is the father of 3 children and 5 grandchildren.
Jim has been in public service ever since he graduated in 1971. He enlisted in the US Air Force, Ohio Air National Guard and served during the Vietnam era.
- When he returned home he became a certified police officer and served on the Crawford County Sheriff’s Department.
- He served over 25 years with the Richland County Sheriff’s Office in various capacities.
- He was a fire investigator with the state fire marshal’s office.
- A safety officer with the department of corrections (retiring in 2007)
- He continued in his law enforcement profession as an auxiliary officer on several departments.
- He also served as the zoning inspector in Madison Twp.
He based his most recent campaign on “Safety”. Safety for the residence of Madison Twp.is very important to him. Jim was elected and took office on Jan 1, 2018. He looks forward to working with the citizens of Madison Twp. and the two other Trustees.
Term Beginning Jan 1 2020 – Dec 31 2023
Was a Madison TWP Trustee previously from 2000 – 2007